Self Defence for Women
Women need to make self-protection a greater priority. According to statistics every two minutes a woman in America is raped, and one out of four women will be the victim of a violent crime. Having the delusion that it can't happen to you or that it's something that only happens to other people is the kind of attitude predators depend on. The more informed you are, the better prepared you will be in the event you are targeted by a predator. By empowering yourself with knowledge, your fear will not escalate, it will diminish.NOTE: The BEST self defense is Awareness
1. Look where you're going. Check out the gas station, ATM, 7-Eleven etc. before you pull up/go in so you don't become part of a stickup in progress.
2. Wake up. Turn off your iPod/iPhone etc. when out in public. Don't jog with earphones.
3. Maintain a Personal Comfort Zone. No stranger or hostile relation is allowed to get closer than 5 feet to you without vetting or permission. Period. If they do, attack the attacker [Brad Steiner]. Practice a relaxed, non-threatening listening stance you can explode from (see the "Jack Benny stance" in our books How to Fight For Your Life and Attack Proof and the Companion Part 1 DVD.
4. Walk wide around building corners. Don't get jumped.
5. React. Practice a high speed flinch response in the event you're surprised by a sound, movement or touch (see the "Fright Reaction" in the above resources).
6. Watch your drink. Someone could slip a knock out drug in your cocktail. Typical abduction/rape/murder ruse.
7. No stranger gets in your house. Ever. Even if it's a little girl screaming to use your phone to call her daddy because her mommy's lying in the road bleeding to death. Call 911 for her. Otherwise, you open the door and 3 mutants rush in and a horrific home invasion begins.
8. Flat tire in a bad neighborhood? Drive on your rims. New wheels are a small price to pay for avoiding a violent car jacking.
9. People give you a bad feeling as you walk down a street? Do you: Make eye contact? Don't make eye contact? Look assertive? Reach for your gun? Walk down a different street.
10. You're being mugged for your money. Don't fish around in your purse/wallet for bills. Be cooperative. Give them your whole wallet (prepare a separate "mugging" wallet with a few dollars). But...
11. Never go to crime scene #2. If all they want is money, fine. But if they want to take you somewhere, make your stand and fight for your life, right now. You stand a better chance of surviving. If you go with them, statistics say will you not escape or be rescued. You will probably die or be so f'd up you'll wish you had died.
There are many more tips in our books How to Fight For Your Life and Attack Proof.